Sunday 13 November 2011

Exterior: to-do list

Having had a fairly miserable day wrestling with the two large ply panels from the back of the van (unscrew, lift them out, trim a bit, screw them in, out again, trim a bit, repeat, repeat, repeat...) I thought I'd cheer myself with a spot of Photoshop-modding.

With the Bentley wheels now sold I'm currently in discussions with a chap from the Caddy2k forum who has several sets of VW Helios wheels being refurbished. One of these sets now has my name on them!

The Helios was an optional-extra on Volkswagen's luxury Phaeton range. So as you can imagine, they're pretty hard to come by. You could walk into your local dealership and order a set. Better still you could go to your local TPS and price a set up. This would currently cost you over two and a half grand!!!

Anyway, back to the Photoshopping:
Click for bigger version
The 19's immediately look more at home (and less like an exaggerated Hot-Wheels toy) than the 20" Bentleys. Being from the Volkswagen family sits well with me; I'm a big fan of the OEM+ look or in other words 'what VW would have done if they could dip into the parts bin regardless of cost'.

Black headlights from a Touran R-line help set the Caddy off from being just another van - these are a straight swap too; no messing, trimming or fudging required.

Wind deflectors - just because I like them - will probably look for a slimline set from Heko.

Sliding door rail cover - I'll be looking to get one of the excellent kits from Reflex Auto Design - as these come painted I might also treat myself to the Sportline rear spoiler at the same time.

Finally, I'll be looking into reinstating the fins that have been cut away from the lower part of the front bumper. Initially I'll be looking to source a secondhand bumper off eBay and chopping it up. If that doesn't work I might push the boat out and fit a Touran front end.

Oh, and there's another part in the post - a little something for under the bonnet - will keep you posted when fitted...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.